Wednesday, May 9

The Standoff on Tatesbrook Drive.

Today I had a head-to-head with #2. She is learning how to ride a two-wheeler for the first time. I know, she's 8 years old and doesn't know how to ride a bike. Totally our bad (our almost-10-year-old is learning also). It's just that a bike has rarely been on our radar for Christmas or birthdays, and if it has it was at a time where we weren't able to buy one. We've had a few hand-me-downs with training wheels but the kids never really got into riding them. So this is the year that everyone gets a bike for her/his birthday.

#3 was first - she got a cute little pink bike with training wheels for her 5th birthday and rode it all the time. Until I ran over it while backing out of the driveway. Now she is scared to death because the training wheels are off-kilter and she feels like she's going to fall off. Fantastic.

#2 was next. She was so excited and couldn't WAIT to get her bike. It was all she talked about for 2 whole months. Finally, her birthday came and she got her cute purple bike with a black and purple helmet (thanks, Nana!). Only, the bike is a smidge too big for her, it only has hand brakes, and it doesn't have training wheels. She is learning to ride pretty much from scratch.

Let me give you a little background on this child. She is just about as sweet as she can be (when she's not being a typical 8-year-old girl). She has come to me recently saying that kids make fun of her and some of her friends are setting her up to get in trouble at school. We've talked a lot about standing up for yourself. She has a hard time talking back to her peers because she wants, and I mean reaaallly wants, them to like her. I tell her that she doesn't have to be mean, but she should let them know she will not allow them to treat her that way.

So today was the third biking lesson. I tried really *really* hard to maintain my cool, and it was working (seriously, I would be willing to pay someone to teach my kid how to do this). She wasn't even close to being able to ride on her own but I kept encouraging her and telling her that she was doing great, and she really was, considering she was "falling" over every chance she got. Then, all of a sudden it was over. We were halfway up the street and she decided she just didn't want to do it anymore.

Well, me being the stubborn sassypants that I am said, no you're not finished until I tell you you're finished. And that was it. She stood up to me. "It's a free country, I'm my own person and I can make my own decisions." Oh, Snap!

Has the important life lesson backfired on me? What do I do with this? Here's what: I informed #2 that she is, in fact, not free to make her own decisions while I am in charge. Outside of the realm of the family, yes, she should make good choices and do what she feels is right for herself. But not here, sister. We were officially at a stand-off: she wanted to go home; I told her she couldn't go home without her butt on the bike and feet pedaling. So we stood there. She sassed me some more and I kept on telling her how it was gonna be. I was prepared to stay in that spot with her until dark. I was going to win. My team *always wins*!

And then she said, "I can take care of myself, you know. I can find my own food and shelter, and get myself to school. For two whole days. . . well, at least for one day."

Oh, is that so? Well then let me be the first to say, IT'S ON!

To Be Continued...

2 comments:

  1. What's the latest? Are you still in a stand off? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nopne of our kids ride w/o training wheels. I have no patience in teaching them to ride. My FIL takes the two oldest out and works with them thank goodness. As far as the whole stand off goes, I doubt she'll push it too far. Especially when her siblings are all out having fun on their bikes

    ReplyDelete